if a Muslim who apostatizes and abandons islam deserves the death penalty, why does a non-Muslim who converts to islam not deserve the same penalty?
The Permanent Committee was asked: if a Muslim who apostatizes and abandons islam deserves the death penalty, why does not a non-Muslim who converts to islam deserve the same penalty?
Answer: By professing Islam, the person obeys Allah (Glorified be He) and achieves actual servitude to Him. Any competent creature, whether from among mankind or Jinn (creatures created from fire), is obligated to believe in Allah’s Religion. This is Allah’s Right that all His Creation have to fulfill.
Also, Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says about the great reward of the person who professes Islam with deep belief in Allah and translates their Iman (Faith) into good deeds: “Verily those who believe and do righteous deeds, shall have the Gardens of Al-Firdaus (Paradise) for their entertainment. Wherein they shall dwell (forever). No desire will they have for removal therefrom.”
Allah (Glorified be He) says: “O Children of Adam! If there come to you Messengers from amongst you, reciting to you My Verses, then whosoever becomes pious and righteous, on them shall be no fear nor shall they grieve.”
and “Whoever works righteousness – whether male or female – while he (or she) is a true believer verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Paradise in the Hereafter).”
There are many Ayahs (Qur’anic verses) to the same effect. Therefore, the person who professes Islam and believes in Allah as the Lord, in Muhammad (peace be upon him) as a Prophet and Messenger, and in Islam as a religion will be rewarded by gaining Allah’s Guidance and Light, having a blissful life in this world and in the Hereafter, attaining bliss in Jannah (Paradise), gaining Allah’s Pleasure, and being saved from the Fire.
On the other hand, the person who apostatizes and abandons Al-Haqq (the Truth), that was revealed by Allah, is disobeying Allah (Exalted be He) and neglecting His Orders. Hence, they deserve to be punished by the death penalty in this world and by staying in the Fire forever in the Hereafter.
This is according to the Judgment of Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) as mentioned in His Saying: “And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever, then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They will abide therein forever.”
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!
|Bakr Abu Zayd||Salih Al-Fawzan||`Abdullah Ghudayyan||`Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah Al Al-Shaykh|
Fatwa of Permanent Committee > Group 1 > Volume 22: Hudud > Had > Had of Riddah > Executing the Had of Riddah on converts from other religions
From Islam Q&A
This question has bees asked several time from non-Muslims and I want to find an answer: Why When the Muslim convert to another religion(Murtad) he/she should be killed?
Praise be to Allaah.
Your question may be answered by the following points:
(1) This is the ruling of Allaah and His Messenger, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever changes his religion, kill him.” (reported by al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, no. 3017).
(2) The one who has known the religion which Allaah revealed, entered it and practised it, then rejected it, despised it and left it, is a person who does not deserve to live on the earth of Allaah and eat from the provision of Allaah.
(3) By leaving Islaam, the apostate opens the way for everyone who wants to leave the faith, thus spreading apostasy and encouraging it.
(4) The apostate is not to be killed without warning. Even though his crime is so great, he is given a last chance, a respite of three days in which to repent. If he repents, he will be left alone; if he does not repent, then he will be killed.
(5) If the punishment for murder and espionage (also known as high treason) is death, then what should be the punishment for the one who disbelieves in the Lord of mankind and despises and rejects His religion? Is espionage or shedding blood worse than leaving the religion of the Lord of mankind and rejecting it?
(6) None of those who bleat about personal freedom and freedom of belief would put up with a neighbour’s child hitting their child or justify this as “personal freedom,” so how can they justify leaving the true religion and rejecting the sharee’ah which Allaah revealed to teach mankind about His unity and bring justice and fairness to all?
We ask Allaah for safety and health. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad .
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid