Importance of Knowing Shirk
Allah (swt) has clarified the path of shirk for us,
“And thus do We explain the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) in detail, that the way of the Mujrimun (criminals, polytheists, sinners), may become manifest.” (6:55)
We learn evil to avoid it, not for the sake of doing it. He who does not know good from evil will fall into it.
The study of shirk is, therefore, an essential component of studying Tawheed.
- Acts of worship will not be accepted by Allah unless tawheed is perfected.
- Likewise, the only way that any person will save himself from the Fire of Hell is by avoiding shirk and dying upon tawheed; if he is not even aware of the essence of shirk, then how can he avoid it?
- The primary incentive to avoid shirk is to appreciate its dangers.
- Shirk is of many different types and categories.
It is only through a critical study of these categories that a person can ensure that he is free of all types of shirk.
An important maxim to keep in mind while studying shirk is to know that Tawheed existed before shirk:
- The Fitrah and Meethaq
- First shirk to occur was during the time of Prophet Nooh ‘alayhis salam.
- Adam ‘alayhis salam, the first man and the father of all peoples, was a Prophet of Allah.