Benefits from Saheeh al-Bukhaaree: Whoever Sits at the End of the Gathering and Whoever Sees an Opening in the Gathering and He Sits Therein
Benefits from Saheeh al-Bukhaaree
Whoever Sits at the End of the Gathering and Whoever Sees an Opening in the Gathering and He Sits Therein
In the name of Allah, and all praise belongs to Allah. May salutation and blessing also be bestowed upon the Messenger of Allah.
Book : Saheeh al-Bukhaaree
Section: The Book of Knowledge
Chapter: Whoever Sits at the End of the Gathering and Whoever Sees an Opening in the Gathering and He Sits Therein.
Teacher: Shaikh Muhammad Muhammadi an-Nooristaani
On the 1st of Jumaadaa al-Oolaa of the year 1433 coinciding with the 24th of March of the year 2012, we benefited the following from the esteemed Shaikh, Muhammad Muhammadi an-Nooristaani, may Allah preserve him:
al-Bukhaaree reports on the authority of Abu Waaqid al-Laithy that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, was sitting in the Masjid and the people were amongst him. Then three individuals came forth. Two of them came forward to the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, and one of them departed. He states, “Two of them halted at the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. As for one of the two of them, he saw an opening in the gathering so he sat therein. As for the other, he sat behind them. And as for the third, he turned back departing.
When the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, finished, he said, ‘Shall I not inform you all about the three individuals? As for the first of them, he betook himself to Allah so Allah betook him to Himself. As for the second of them, he was shy so Allah was shy of him. And as for the third, he turned away so Allah turned away from him.’”
In this chapter, al-Bukhaaree, may Allah bestow mercy upon him, explains the guidelines of etiquette in the circles of knowledge and also encourages sitting within these circles.
The first individual was eager in obtaining something so Allah gave him that which he was eager in. The second individual was shy so Allah was shy of him. This means that Allah bestowed his mercy upon him and did not punish him. The third individual did not have the zeal and earnest desire to seek knowledge.
Benefits of the Hadeeth:
1) The permissibility of mentioning the state of the people of sin to warn others from falling into that sin. Yet examine how the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, and the companion reporting the Hadeeth mentioned the action without specifying the individual. In one breath, he benefited the entire Ummah (Muslim Nation) warning them from harm while covering the fault of the Muslim, at the same time, preserving his honor! Allahu Akbar!
2) The Virtue of the circles of knowledge and the remembrance of Allah.
3) Being praised and raised due to seeking knowledge.
4) Being praised due to possessing modesty.
5) The author, may Allah bestow mercy upon him, is explaining whoever can not find a seat in the gathering should sit at the edge of the gathering. On the same token, whoever finds a space in the gathering should take it even if it is between the people.